Tuesday, January 1, 2013

CUT at 45 Park Lane - Happy New Year!


So Ladies and Gentlemen...

Who is hungry? No, I mean really hungry. Hungry for goodness, honesty and knowledge. Hungry to learn about all the wonderful things that grow on this green earth. But most of all hungry for good food and where to find it (or make it). This, my friends, is the blog I've been talking about for ages, but never set up. What better time to start than January 1st, putting forth this new year resolution and hopefully sticking with it! If you've dined with me and noticed the amount of pictures I took before consuming a meal (cringe), well this is the result. Now without further ado, (and anymore introductions) I present to you my food blog.


So this evening I find myself in London, and after a lackluster Dec 31 (I took a shower and went to bed after watching Bridget Jones's Diary on Channel 4) I decided that today would be special. I made reservations at CUT by Wolfgang Puck two weeks prior to today. You know, to avoid any disappointment and what not. I read a load of reviews and had a look at the menu many times in preparation for my visit. (Yes, I'm that dedicated to feeding myself.) There were some good reviews, some great ones, and surprised to find some awful ones. I was apprehensive. This place is not cheap. If my family we're disappointed I'd be on the other end of the chopping block. This was after all my choice.

I rushed home at five thirty after a whirlwind shopping spree on Oxford St. Put on my new black shirt, and lashes, buckled up my boots and headed out the door. We were running late so I e-mailed the restaurant to let them know. Yes, I know. Geeky move. So we walk in, the hostesses greeted us very warmly, took our coats and showed us to our table. It was very cosy, huddled in the back corner with an ambient crowd and a few Damien Hirsts. I couldn't wait to eat!

We glanced over the menus and right away I knew what I wanted. But when our server came over with a tray of the actual cuts I changed my mind. Instead of a filet mignon I went for a NY sirloin. It was the steak from Kansas, aged for thirty five days, beautiful marbling. But what looked even better were the Wagyu cuts. They're not Wagyu for nothing. But the price for one of those was 85 pounds. No way. At least not tonight. But hey if you're a little more indulgent than I was tonight, I suggest you go for it! It looked very promising.

My starter was the Big Eye Tuna Tartar, Wasabi Aioli, Ginger, Togarashi Chips, Tosa Soy. For twenty one pounds, it's a little on the pricey side, but believe me it is oh so worth it. This was the one thing on the menu I would definitely come back for. So fresh, so crisp, just the right amount of balance from the soy, the tangy wasabi, the creamy avocado finally balances out all the wonderful asian elements. California cuisine at its best. I close my eyes. I felt like I took a trip to Los Angeles and back. I open my eyes. Hyde Park is an imposing piece of land. I was firmly in London. Not a bad place to be.

Next was the steak. 10 oz. of pure NY sirloin. Wonderful cut, however I wish I had said 'medium' instead of 'medium well'. The béarnaise sauce was utterly butterly sublime! And those Tempura Onion Rings, they totally eclipsed the steak. Phenomenal rings. With all this said, you can conclude that I thought the steak was average. I was pleased, but not impressed. I can sing the praises of the side dishes all night, but the steak left a little to be desired. Oh well, 'medium' for next time.

I didn't plan on ordering dessert, but the Sticky Toffee Medjool Date Cake with Tangerine Sorbet and Vanilla Anglaise caught my eye. An absolute triumph! It was decadent but not heavy, tangy and sweet, yin and yang. The sorbet complimented the cake beautifully, and I don't even like tangerines!

All in all, this was a wonderful start to the year! And hopefully, by deciding to blog, I will be taking you on my culinary adventures (and giving out some of my recipes!) Shhh.

Note: My sister ordered the Warm Dark Chocolate Valrhona Souffle. Warning! For extreme chocoholics only!! Also, the Mashed Potatoes deserve an honorable mention.


45 Park Lane
W1K 1PN
T: 020 7629 4848











2 comments:

  1. need to go there for sure how far is it from oxford st

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's right next to Oxford st.! Walking distance really!

      Delete