Monday, August 5, 2013

Chapon Chocolatier - A Chocoholic's Dream


Being a kid in a candy store is so passé. Now being a lady or gentleman in a chocolate shop, is de rigeur. At Chapon, a little chocolate shop on rue du Bac, I found myself again. Being a confirmed chocoholic with no hope of a cure, I literally was at the epicenter of joy itself. Chapon is one of those places you want to keep to yourself and refrain from advising people about. But I like you guys. 

Everything from the story behind the sourcing of the beans, the meticulous presentation of the chocolate, and the sheer volume of the different varieties they offer, point to the legitimacy of their craftsmanship. This is the real deal. The Cluizels and Chauduns of the industry are greats without a doubt, but Chapon is for hipsters

I love the sign by the door that says "vainqueur au grand prix du chocolat..." I especially love that they used the word vainqueur. Not only do they want to tell you that they have competed in chocolate championships, but that they've basically conquered, nay, vanquished the competition! It's that sort of french cockiness that I adore, and I can vouch for it's validity here.

After trying their Madagascar chocolate mousse, I'm convinced that there is none that can beat it. Not in Paris at least. And by Paris I mean the entire cosmos. I know that's a huge proclamation. But my money is on the vainqueurs of the chocolate grand prix!!

Honorable mention: The chocolate caramels (the mango flavor was a happy accident), chocolate oranges, and anything with fleur de sel. 

PS. Chapon gets extra points for the decor. Not that they need more points anyway. 10/10!

69 rue du Bac
75006 Paris
France











 






No comments:

Post a Comment