Sunday, August 11, 2013

Le Vieux Moulin - Charming, Picturesque, Delicious



"Mother knows best." The age old adage proves to be true once again. I let her pick the restaurant for Sunday lunch at St Paul de Vence, an adorable little town on the hills of the Côte d'Azur. She chose Le Vieux Moulin, an equally cute restaurant just outside the "castle" walls. 

Here, the waiters were friendly, the service was quick, and the view from the terrace was breathtaking. Considering that some loyal local customers seemed to dine here, I took it as a sign that the food here must be good. And it was!

We had the Veal with mushrooms and gnocchi. Heaven. It was rustic and refined at the same time. My brother was fascinated with the gnocchi, which was arguably my favorite part of the dish. My sister had the duck with honey, which she ate silently (meaning she liked it very much.) The two risottos we ordered were the gambas and the scallops. Both cooked to perfection. I can't say this was an unexpectedly good lunch because I did expect a good lunch. What I didn't expect was a great lunch! Which is exactly what we got.

I've been dying to try Strawberry soup for the longest time. Yes, soup. Once I saw it on the dessert menu I knew that was what I was going to order without hesitation. It was everything I had hoped it would be. Sweet, succulent, fresh. The perfect summer's day dessert. But the pièce de résistance was undoubtedly that little scoop of milk flavored ice cream. It was...in a word...spellbinding. I'd have a tub of that all on my own. No problem.

I highly recommend Le Vieux Moulin. As well as a short walk around St Paul to burn those cals!

This place really is a hidden gem. Follow the locals or your mother's instincts, both are always right.

Honorable mention: the vanilla millefeuille!

Le Vieux Moulin
Route de Vence
06570 Saint Paul de Vence
France 













No comments:

Post a Comment