Monday, August 19, 2013

Huckleberry Cafe - Santa Monica's Best




Late one weekday night, sometime in June of 2012 I was watching the food network, half awake, and obviously half asleep. When suddenly something made me sit up on the couch and pay more attention to the tv screen; it was a reportage on this place. I immediately typed "huckleberry" on my iPhone and made a mental note to visit.

So if you find your self near Santa Monica, CA I strongly suggest that you give Huckleberry on 1014 Wilshire Blvd a go. Don't let the long line at their weekend brunch fool you. The line moves relatively fast and it is oh so worth the wait! For there, at the end of yonder que, lies the most delicious salted caramel bar that I've ever had (and failed to re-create.) The generous layer of smooth buttery caramel is intensified with the use of real vanilla beans; and it all sits comfortably on a bed of crumbly, buttery (yes, buttery again) shortbread, that willingly plays second fiddle to the star above. God I wish I could have another bite of it again! 

Brunch at Huckleberry is fantastic. But what they started doing lately is Thursday night family dinners! I've been following their Instagram account for months now and every week they tempt me with their offerings. Keeping with their farmer fresh ethos, the menu for these dinners changes weekly. They update their website so you know what you're in for. I love stuff like this. 

Yeah I know this is a Huckleberry post but I also have to recommend the iced green tea from Panera Bread just down the road. We called this drink, "The Magical Elixir of Life." Needless to say, you have to try it! Then head on down to Arizona Avenue for the farmer's market. (The best day is Wednesday, but they're there on the weekends too.) Then on to some 'light' shopping on Third Street Promenade. This is my ideal Saturday morning routine in Santa Monica. Well I can't call it a routine since I don't live there. Maybe one day...

1014 Wilshire Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Insta: Huckcafe





                                      












No comments:

Post a Comment